World Health Organization confirms COVID-19 as Pandemic
A pandemic is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or worldwide.
“WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” said Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, World Health Organization director-general.
He also called on governments to change the course of the outbreak by taking “urgent and aggressive action”
“Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled,” he said.
“The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same – it’s whether they will.”
“We’re in this together to do the right things with calm and protect the citizens of the world. It’s doable,” he said.
- Caribbean Island covered in Ash post volcanic eruption
- Covid19 – India crosses 100 million vaccination mark
- China – 21 coal miners trapped underground due to floods
- Saudi Arabia allows walk-in vaccinations for people aged 75 and over
- Qatar shuts cinemas, beauty salons, barber shops as infections rise