World Health Organization confirms COVID-19 as Pandemic
A pandemic is an epidemic of disease that has spread across a large region; for instance multiple continents, or worldwide.
“WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” said Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, World Health Organization director-general.
He also called on governments to change the course of the outbreak by taking “urgent and aggressive action”
“Several countries have demonstrated that this virus can be suppressed and controlled,” he said.
“The challenge for many countries who are now dealing with large clusters or community transmission is not whether they can do the same – it’s whether they will.”
“We’re in this together to do the right things with calm and protect the citizens of the world. It’s doable,” he said.
- Lebanon : 6 dead in deadly shooting during protests
- Australia : Victoria continues to report high number of cases ; Sydney to end quarantine
- $100 billion to be raised annually by India and U.S. to fight climate change
- Abu Dhabi: Covid rules for attending events, exhibitions updated
- Oman: Muscat reopens public parks, gardens