Must Try: Deep Breathing technique to relieve stress
You hear about the benefits of mindfulness everywhere but you’re unsure where to start or how to fit it into your busy schedule? Then take a deep breath! Breathing exercises don’t take much time, can be practiced almost everywhere, and are very easy to learn.
Obviously, we all know how to breathe – we’re doing it all day without even thinking about it. However, learning to control our breath turns this innate reflex into a powerful tool that can be a life-changer.
Looks like we’ve found the ideal mindfulness practice for everyone!
Emphasising on how important it is to deep breathe, lifestyle coach Luke Coutinho shared a deep breathing technique that is useful to relieve stress and anxiety.
In an Instagram post, Coutinho suggested how deep breathing, done on a regular basis, can help people who suffer from stress or anxiety.
How to deep breathe:
- Sit in a comfortable position (floor/chair) with your spine straight and chin parallel to the ground.
- Place one hand on your belly and the other on your heart; gently close your eyes.
- When you breathe in, feel your belly inflate like a balloon.
- When you breathe out, feel your belly deflating. Exhale for longer than you had inhaled.
- Continue breathing this way for five to 10 times.
- Try to make your breath slow and steady.
- Each time you exhale, imagine letting go of your worries.
When to perform it:
- Can be done multiple times a day.
- Use this breathing style when stressed/fearful/anxious before going to sleep.