Kuwait Labor Law and Employment Contract
The Public Authority for Manpower in Kuwait has launched a new unified labour contract that regulates sponsor-worker relations in the private sector.
The new contract includes 16 clauses including a 100-day probation period during which the contract could be terminated by either side without prior notice.
However, the monthly payment cannot be reduced during the contract period, which could go up to five years.
Additionally, it includes a preliminary clause that defines both parties, the job a worker is hired to do in Kuwait, and both sides’ capacities.
The New contract also includes the Following:-
- Subjecting renew ability approval to both parties,
- Preparing fully-paid annual leave after working for at least nine months in the first year, limiting working hours to eight hours with a one-hour break included.
- Mandating the sponsor to pay the expenses of a returning a worker to his/her country on concluding the contract and departing Kuwait.
- Mandating the employer to insure a worker against job hazards and paying health insurance, giving a laborer indemnity.
- Defining the laws and courts applicable in case of disputes.
- Allows the possibility of adding special clauses, defines that Arabic is the reference language in case of legal disputes.
- Obliges the employer to make three copies of the contract – one for each party and one to be deposited with the manpower authority.
Labour offices and embassies were provided with a copy of the new contract and it will be translated into other languages and be distributed to employers and migrants.