Kuwait Crown Prince Vows to Fight Corruption
Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah, Kuwait’s Deputy Emir and Crown Prince, has called for national unity in tackling corruption, following the leak of videos he deemed were an “encroachment on people’s freedoms and privacy.
Kuwait’s royal family are not above the law where the fight against corruption is concerned.
In a televised address to the public, Sheikh Nawaf said “no offender will escape punishment.” Members of the Royal Family are a “part of the Kuwaiti people, and the same laws apply to them. Whoever makes a mistake bears responsibility for that mistake,” he said. “No one is above the law.”
In addition he added, “The social media revelations are manifestations of meddling and chaos in the nation, particularly in relation to the recent leaks that affect some employees in our security institutions.” This matter has been an “attempt by some to cause disharmony and stir up strife”, he underlined
Earlier last week, Kuwait suspended the director-general of state security, the former director of the money laundering department, and a number of high-ranking officers over leaked recordings that date back to 2018.
The decision came following investigations carried out by a probe committee, the Interior Ministry’s public relations and security media department said in a statement last Thursday. The minister, who doubles as Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs, also decided to send the case to the Public Prosecution.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry announced yesterday that an independent panel was probing recordings leaked on Saturday from the national security agency.
The leaks date back to 2018 and related to state security helping the son of former Prime Minister Hamad Al-Sabah cover up his role in a Malaysian money laundering scandal. Hamad was arrested in July 2020 for helping former Malaysian leader Najib Razak illegally transfer money from a state-controlled fund into his personal bank accounts.