Kuwait Announces 520 new COVID-19 Cases, 6 More Deaths
Kuwait on Friday, announced 520 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of COVID-19 infections in the country to 34,952 according to a statement from the Ministry of Health.
The Health Ministry also reported 6 more deaths from COVID-19, taking to 285 the total such fatalities in Kuwait. Those currently receiving treatment at hospitals reached 9,619 patients.
All the new cases were in contact with previously infected people or are being investigated for sources of infection, the Health Ministry’s spokesman Dr. Abdullah Al Sanad said in a media update.
Meanwhile, A number of health workers under various Ministries, who are currently held up in India due to the suspension of airline operation, will be coming back to Kuwait on special flights from soon. Doctors, Nurses and other medical-related technical professionals who were on vacation before the lockdown and was held up in India are called to return to Kuwait.
The Minister of Oil, addressing a parliamentary committee session, said the non-Kuwaitis would not be hired in the Kuwait Petroleum Corporation and its subsidiary for the year 2020-2021 and their numbers as to special contracts would be trimmed. Minister of Oil and the State Minister for Electricity and Water Dr Khaled Al-Fadhel, warned that he would not be inactive toward layoff of Kuwaiti citizens serving in the national petroleum companies.
Meanwhile, Kuwait Ministry of Interior stated that the residents of the isolated areas are allowed to leave their homes, within the curfew area only but are not allowed to go out of their area even with curfew permit. The partial curfew in Kuwait will be from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am.
Kuwait government decides to change the total curfew to a partial curfew. The health minister said easing the curfew will be among the first phase in a 5-phases plan, each to last at least 3 weeks, to go back to normal life.