Coronavirus: Donald Trump Stops Funding World Health Organization
United States President Donald Trump has issued a directive to halt US payments to the World Health Organization.
President Trump said the World Health Organization had “failed in its basic duty and it must be held accountable” for it.
President Trump says the outbreak could have been contained at its source and spared lives had the United Nations health agency had done a better job investigating reports coming out of China.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slammed the World Health Organization on Tuesday night, saying the international body needs to “do its job” as President Trump moves to halt U.S. funding to the group.
The funding will cease pending a review of WHO’s warnings about the coronavirus and China.
The U.S. contributes more than any other country to WHO, at more than $400 million per year. Cutting off funds to the group, which has a $4.8 billion annual budget, will be a major blow to the organization as it conducts vaccine trials, distributes test kits and advises governments around the world.
China’s contribution in 2018-19 was almost $76m in assessed contributions and about $10m in voluntary funding, according to the WHO website.
The US is the highest affected country in the coronavirus pandemic with 608,377 cases and 25,981 deaths so far.
Meanwhile, World Health Organization officials said Monday not all people who recover from the coronavirus have the antibodies to fight a second infection, raising concern that patients may not develop immunity after surviving Covid-19.
“With regards to recovery and then reinfection, I believe we do not have the answers to that. That is an unknown,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s emergencies program, said