Chinese official claims US may have brought coronavirus to China
More than 130,000 people have been infected by the virus and nearly 5,000 have died across the world so far.
Zhao Lijian, a spokesman for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, called attention to a comment on Wednesday from Robert Redfield, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, acknowledging that some Americans who were said to have died from influenza may have actually died from COVID-19.
“When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected?” Zhao wrote on Twitter. “What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US Army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!”
As China has faced criticism, Chinese authorities have pushed back, suggesting that the virus may have originated somewhere else. Dr. Zhong Nanshan, a leading Chinese epidemiologist, said in late February that “though the COVID-19 was first discovered in China, it does not mean that it originated from China.”
The coronavirus first appeared in the central Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, and since then, the pandemic has claimed the lives of thousands of people, mostly in China.
The new coronavirus was first reported to the World Health Organization in December last year, after emerging in the central city of Wuhan. Since then, COVID-19 has spread to more than 100 countries, infected over 100,000 people and killed at least 3,800 globally. Most of those infected and killed so far were in China.
- Kuwait: 400 expat ministry employees to be sacked
- Kuwait: Indian Embassy request people to provide valid contact details
- Kuwait: How To Pay Electricity & Water Bills Online
- Pakistan to send 100,000 skilled workers to Kuwait
- Kuwait: 30,000 expats face fines for expired residency permits
- Kuwait Municipality cancels spring camping season
- Kuwait: Real estate sector warns about the negative effect of demographic law
- 95% of government jobs now held by Kuwaitis
- DGCA to reopen restaurants & prayer rooms at Kuwait International Airport
- Kuwait: Authorities reiterated KD 2 fine per day for expired residency